Child Support

Parents must financially support their children.  That obligation usually lasts until the child reaches the age of majority (usually 18, depending on state law).  An order for child support may be entered during or after a divorce, and either parent may be ordered to pay support depending upon how custody is arranged.  Unwed parents may also file a petition for child support in family court, and an order for support will be entered once paternity has been established.

A parent who fails to remain current on his or her child support obligations faces significant penalties.  Every state has a child support enforcement office that works with the family court to suspend professional or business licenses, take away driver and recreational licenses, or place non-paying parents in jail when child support obligations are overdue.  Because of the state specific requirements involved in child support, parents can benefit from the advice and involvement of a family law attorney at our firm when child support issues arise.

Call our experienced attorneys today for further advice.